Thursday, May 22, 2008

Treasure Hunting: Vintage Stilllife

I found and purchased these little beauties on Saturday with the intent to put them up on my Etsy store, Lucky Stone Vintage.


After thinking about yesterday's post and how I have been on the lookout for some new (or new to us) art... I realized that I really kind of like them, but I'm just not sure if they're right for our dining room. I think the scale might be kind of off for the wall that we are hoping to adorn, so in order to make them work, we would have to find some complimentary pieces and do a grouping.

I think I'll hang on to them for now...


Whenever I come across something like this, I can't help but wonder about the artist. The one with the pink background was done in 1973 and the one with the yellow background was done in 1971, both by Loretta J. Stevenson.

Was Loretta a professional or was painting her hobby? Was she a mother or a wife? Have the paintings been in Kansas City since the 70's, or perhaps they were done in another state or country altogether? It is fun to imagine the kind of person that she was (or is), and knowing that these paintings have seen and experienced another life makes them seem a just little bit more special.

2 comments:

twelvekindsofcrazy said...

Hi Jessie!
I love that second one especially.
I have a pair of vintage earrings and every time I wear them I wonder what kind of fun they may have seen in the 50s. Pretty cool.

Always In Style said...

These are great finds -- I collect amateur art (much to my husband's dismay) but it's getting harder to find ones that are well-executed and affordable.

Lucky girl!