Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Highlights

1. Allergic reaction of Death
2. Celebration at the Station
3. Shopping Spree Mania

Sound like fun? You better believe it.

The three-day weekend started off like so:

While showering on Friday morning, I happened to run out of body wash. This may not seem like an issue, but when you've got radically sensitive skin and can only buy things with labels that say "hypo-allergenic, non-scented, non-perfumed, sensitive skin, non-comodegenic, we-promise-not-to-make-you-break-out-in-hives"... it's never a good thing to realize mid shower that you are out of body wash. I had already shampooed and conditioned and couldn't leave the skin unscrubbed, so I had to resort to using the "Old Spice Sport" from the uncharted territory that is G's shower shelf. I was already sporting a pretty crummy attitude about how I thought the weekend was going to end up, and suspecting what would inevitably follow my shower didn't make my outlook any better.

I made it through the day alive, and even got to leave work a little early... probably a good thing, considering that the mugginess in the air and the heat of the bus ride home teamed forces with the icy blue poisonous residue clinging to my skin and decided to turn my arms, legs, and underarms into a full-blown battlefield. (Don't worry, no pictures to post.)

All I wanted to do this weekend, was walk around in shorts and tank tops... letting the sun warm my skin and bring back my color... but, no. Instead, I had to be wary of the little we saw of my beloved sun (thanks to the wet weather), and I was forced to keep the skin-baring to a minimum (you're welcome, Kansas City). Bottom line? The only color I ended up turning was red. And bumps. Is bumps a color?

Despite the itchiness (and constant complaints), my fabulous husband made it his Mission (Impossible) *cue music* to keep me smiling and happy for the remainder of the break. Our weekend calendars are typically full of visits with friends, but since everyone seemed to be out of town this weekend, we had plenty of time to ourselves.

We went to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning, and then out to dinner for a much-needed date on Saturday night. On Sunday evening, we celebrated Memorial Day with 50,000 of our fellow Americans. Every year, the Kansas City Symphony plays a free concert on the lawn in front of Union Station, and it turns into an all-day event called Celebration at the Station.

Believe it or not, we were towards the front of the crowd for this shot. The majority of the masses were behind us!

We rode the scooter (which means we got PRIMO parking) and snacked on kettle corn and cokes (that may or may not have been spiked with rum). We played cards while we listened to the music and then stayed all the way to the end for the biggest display of fireworks that KC has to offer. It was a simple day, but by far, one of my all-time-favorites since we've been here.

Beee-utiful.

On Monday, we took advantage of all the sales and we hit the stores in search of some charming new additions to my wardrobe, in honor of The New Job. (Hooray!) G said that our usual clothing allowance could be bypassed and that made me a very happy guhl. Shopping spree, indeed!

As I start this gloriously short work week (at what is soon to be my former office... HAD to throw that in there one more time), I am so thankful for the chance I had to relax, celebrate, reflect, shop, laugh, and just BE with my all-time best friend and partner in crime.

Self-portrait on a picnic blanket.

With our busy schedules, we don't get the chance to "date" much anymore, but this weekend?

G, this weekend, the feelings of the first few weeks we ever spent together came flooding back. You made me feel uninhibited, hopeful, starry-eyed, in love.

You have swept me off of my feet yet again, and I am beyond grateful that I get to be the one in your arms.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Aww...you two are CUTE! Happy the weekend was so wonderful (minus the unfortunate body wash incident, of course)

Regardez Moi said...

oh man *sniffle* you just totally made me teary eyed. that is so sweet and inspiring to know that there are couples out there who are totally and truly in love. :) glad you had such a nice weekend together. and hope your bumps have gone away.