Tuesday, December 30, 2008
I want to be friends with these girls. Does anyone want to make up a dance with me this weekend??
Oh, and Happy New-Year-Fresh-Start-for-All to you and you and you!
2. I have bionic scent and hearing. Sounds like a superpower, right? Well it's mostly just a reason for people to think that I have completely lost my marbles. I can smell and identify things like new rubber soles of shoes, the exact breed of muffins baking in the oven, and lucky pennies underneath the seat in my car. Can you imagine the facial expressions I get when I share my olfactory observations with others and they end up being correct??? As far as hearing goes, it almost always comes in handy... the only time I've ever wished it away was in college when I'd have roommates who were a little overzealous in their evening endeavors *wink*.
3. I HATE it when my food touches. Simple as that. Please don't bother telling me that it all gets mushed together in my stomach, because I KNOW that. I passed 5th grade science. In most cases, I like keeping everything totally separate, and then I eat each item one at a time, going from my least favorite to my most. Not recommended as a weight management strategy... even if I'm full by the time I get to the last thing, I have to eat it because it's my favorite!
4. Sometimes I add "google reader" to my to-do lists because that way, I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something when I'm looking at your lovely sites. :) My stress levels are in direct correspondence with the amount of unread items in my reader, and my inspiration levels shoot through the roof when I actually have the time to browse and comment.
5. My parents first put me on skis when I was about 18 months old. They were itty bitty little things that strapped on to my snow boots, and I think they still might be in a closet at my parents house. I've been hooked since then, and I always thought it was such a shame that I have never lived close to any good mountains. Skiing is one of the only things (besides swimming) that I have done for a really long period of time, and that I know I do well at.
6. I have this obsession with oranges and grapefruits. I can eat them all day long. My parents house (and their whole neighborhood) was built on groves and groves of grapefruit, lemon, and orange trees. Growing up, we could walk right outside in the winter (when the fruit is in season), pluck several off of the trees, and bring them inside to chow down. To this day, I still eat 3 white grapefruits on Christmas morning (w/ brown sugar, of course), and during the year, I spend inappropriate amounts of money buying the pink kind from the store (they were on sale yesterday... YESSSS!). Oranges are the same, I can and do eat two or three in one sitting (must be navel oranges - no seeds). My favorite scents are pink grapefruit and orange blossom from Jo Malone. I wear the first and my mom wears the latter (Thanks, Dad) and I honestly think it's because we've both grown up around blossoming citrus (they still live in the house that my mom grew up in). The scents have become a part of our lives, and just thinking about it makes my mouth water! I'm seriously getting up the minute I post this and grabbing one from the fridge!
Monday, December 29, 2008
I got all swept up in the love and shiny and jingly-tingly of the Christmas spirit last week, and I fully neglected to hit "publish" on most of the posts that I had prepared for while I was visiting home.
Now that we're nearly back into the swing of things, I thought I'd say hello and a Merry late Christmas to you!!
I hope that everyone had a blessed holiday, and I missed checking in on you all last week! I'm back to blogging and have some fun things planned for this week and on into the New Year!!!
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
I also love these pretty things, so please consider this my official letter to you!!!
Complete Embellishing by Kayte Terry
Henna Pillows from CB2
You remember the one. Grapefruit trees in the front, twinkle lights lining the trim, and I'll even put the carrots and celery out for the reindeer... just like old times.
Thanks pal, and good luck during these next few days... it's crunch time!
Love and Kisses,
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Wishing you a Season of Peace and Lots of Love,
Jessie and G (and Zoe, too!)
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
The average person burns 1600 calories during a night of sleep!!!??? (2200 if they are restless with tossing and turning!)
Looks like I need to take up napping!!!
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Taryn and Kristyn are hard at work! (See final product below)
(Please take note of the naked baby Jesus in the front-yard-manger, the mud snowman in the back, and the mold on the roof.)
My Masterpiece... "The Ski Lodge at MidMountain"
Casa Kona Gingerbread Doghouse
Made by Josh (pictured below) for his puppy that I love very much.
Casa Kona in the Making
Le Chalet Savoyard!
A roomy hideaway in the French Alps.
Working fireplace, second-floor balcony, and a light dusting of coconut-snow!
(Made by the Darling French Girls)
Monday, December 15, 2008
Well ok, her birthday was actually on the 13th, but I wanted her to finish her "tag" before I put up her birthday post! Take it away, Martha!!! (*NOTE: Editor's comments in italics)
Five yummy things:
1. Carrot Cake
2. Steak and a Baked Potato
3. Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing
4. Peppermint Bark
5. Antipasto Platter
1. Beach in San Diego
2. Ski Slope in Telluride
3. Vail, Colorado
4. My Couch in Front of the TV
5. Out to Lunch with my Sister
Five things I would never wear:
1. Kelly Green
2. A Bikini
3. Crop Top (PHEW!)
4. 80's Exercise Clothes (Ya, but you used to ROCK these, back in the day)
5. Choker Necklace
Five favorite TV shows:
1. The Office
2. Biggest Loser
3. The Apprentice
5. The Bachelor
Five things I enjoy doing:
1. Relaxing and Watching TV
3. Boogie Boarding (How many moms do you know that can shred waves with the best of 'em?!)
4. Taking the Dog for Bike Rides (Jealous)
5. Playing Board Games with my Family
Five Favorite toys:
1. Jordan (the doggie)
3. iPod (that her generous daughter gave Her)
5. DVR (Doy.)
I wish the whole world could know how much I treasure our friendship.
You can make me laugh harder than any person I know, you are comforting and tender when my heart is hurting, and you have always taught me to nurture my creativity and my love for others. I miss you every single day we are apart, and I can't wait to see you this weekend!
The homemade chocolate-peppermint truffles that I sent do not even beGIN to show how much I love you...
Guess you'll have to settle for a great big birthday-hug, just a few days late!
Friday, December 12, 2008
I think any of these shoes would be great paired with some of the more feminine pieces that I'd like to balance out. Lacy blouses, flirty florals, pale pink, and oversized bows! Add any one of the following, and you've got yourself quite a look!!
... And an extra pair from Etsy, thrown in for good measure!!!
(Guess who loves these?? ME. Too bad they're teeny tiny.)
Is it just me or is the month of December just FLYING by? The next few weeks are so jam packed with things, that I am making sure that I take some time to help others and think about the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place!
Have a wonderful winter weekend, my luckies!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
The best mascara in the world that is within my meager price range and can be purchased at nearly any drugstore!
You must know that if I were stranded on a desert island with access to only ONE beauty product, my choice would easily, no questions asked, be mascara.
I have tried many brands, both high-end and budget-friendly, and nearly every one seems to have a catch. Too expensive, too clumpy, too smudgy, too crumbly. Lash exact is NONE of these. It has amazing staying power, lengthens and separates my lashes, and I have even been asked if I am wearing lash extensions when I wear it! Yowsa!
I do not rant and rave about a product unless I really like it, and I can honestly say that I've got a good one here.
Santa, take note! You could definitely make this girl happy by stuffing a few of these in my stocking this Christmas!!!
***This is not a paid message, and truly states my opinion of this product.***
Monday, December 8, 2008
I've been tagged! This little lady has kindly passed the bar to MOI, and here are the results...
(The formatting on Blogger is driving me crazy these days, so I apologize in advance for the wonky layout.)
*Note: not one of the eyebrow pics that you will read about shortly.*
10 years ago: Just turned 14 years old, and was halfway through the 8th grade. Friends and I used to make up our own "theme days" and wear REALLY crazy stuff to school. Had recently started grooming my eyebrows (more like landscaping my face... should have started at about age 9), and ended up over-plucking an already way-too-aggressive wax job into lopsided little baby caterpillars. **Laughter caused by looking at these photos has been medically proven to cure depression and eliminate any shred of negative self-image. Email me for prices.***
8 years ago: Sophomore year. Anchoring the TV news show at my school, varsity pom/cheer, school musicals, track, swimming, friends, flirting, and keeping out of trouble. My Bompa died earlier in the year, and my life was drastically changed by his absence.
6 years ago: Senior year of high school... at this point I had been with my first serious boyfriend for over a year, and little did I know he would break my heart in a few weeks, on New Year's Eve Day. I majorly screwed up most of my friendships by paying too much attention to the boy, and this was when my mom truly became my best friend. Was ahead in school so I got to go home at noon everyday and eat lunch and watch Oprah with Mom. Score.
2 years ago: Senior year of college. Started my own event planning business, and was planning a wedding of my own. College was such a blast, and it still seems a little like a dream to me. I was excited about the upcoming summer when I would marry my best friend, but definitely not looking forward to moving away from San Diego.
Five yummy things:
1. CHEESE! Any kind, but mostly brie, feta, goat, and extra sharp cheddar.
2. Greyhound (grapefruit juice & grey goose)
4. Cinnamon Raisin Bagel (toasted) with Cream Cheese
5. Dad's Famous Guacamole! (I swear on my life that you will never taste a better recipe)
Off the coast of San Miguel
Five places I would like to escape to:
1. Santorini, Greece
2. Miguel Antonio, Costa Rica
3. San Diego, California
4. Portland, Oregon
5. Telluride, Colorado
Five things I would never wear:
1. Cable Knit Sweaters
2. Polo Shirts
3. Themed Socks
4. Renaissance Festival Costume
5. Beach MuMu
Five favorite TV shows:
1. The Office
2. Lipstick Jungle
3. Saturday Night Live
4. Flipping Out
5. The Soup
There are soooo many! ANTM, Project Runway, Stylista, Extreme Home Makeover, Biggest Loser... I love TV.
Five things I enjoy doing:
2. Planning things for people - outfits, trips, parties, meals, workout regimens, packing lists... you name it.
3. Cuddling up with G, Mom, Dad, and brother on the big couch and watching a funny movie. (YESSS, only two more weeks and you will be mine!)
4. Swimming in the ocean
5. Making things! Meals, gifts, cards, clothes, decorations... you name it.
Five Favorite toys:
1. Embroidery thread, needles, and hoop (Just CALLLLLLL me Granny)
3. Yoga mat
4. Sewing Machine
5. My MOM! That's right, Mamacita, hop to it!
Friday, December 5, 2008
It'll blow your black, velvet overalls* RIGHT. OFF.
I received this in an email with a message saying that these girls are all sisters, ranging from age 5 to 9!!! I'd love to know the story, so if anyone has it - please inform!
***NOTE: I owned the very same pair. Who knew that Limited Too still had them in their rotation!?
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Along with many others! The winner of the drawing will win a $50 credit to Angelina's Cards & Paper Boutique.
Darling Holiday stuff, too! (Which, MAYJAH added bonus, is now %50 off!)
All you have to do is enter the December Giveaway over at The Big Piece of Cake! (LOVE YA, KATE! PICK ME PICK ME!)
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
(I don't know why this video posted twice, but Blogger is being difficult at the moment.)
Our church participated in Advent Conspiracy for the first time last year, and ended up raising $60,000 dollars, which built three water purification wells in the region of Pokot (in Western Kenya). Seeing the transformation of the community there (through video and pictures) has been so astounding.
Jacob's Well is doing AC again this year, and I am so excited to be a part of the media project that is being put together by the Youth. I am constantly feeling blessed and encouraged that these teens, who have been raised amidst a world full of Extreme-Christmas-Consumption, are so passionate about caring more about changing lives than seeing nice presents under the tree.
Of course, one of my favorite parts of this event are the craft workshops and tutorials that JW organizes! All you have to do is pay a small fee for the supplies, and you get to spend time with friends and end up walking away with a sack full of homemade gifts for you loved ones! You can be your very own Homemade-Santa, and I guarantee that the recipients will think you're worthy of much more than a plate of cookies and milk.
If you are interested in joining in the fun this year, feel free to donate to Jacob's Well through their PayPal site (take note that it automatically deducts a PayPal fee of 3%), and make sure that you put "Advent Conspiracy" in the comments. This year, the money will be going towards further support of the villages in Pokot, and I will be sure to keep you posted on the progress and praises!
We may not all share the same faith or beliefs, but I truly hope that as this holiday season begins, you and yours remember to focus on the magic of togetherness and love, rather than giving and receiving things.
If you have to give...
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Monday, December 1, 2008
I forgot what it was like to put in a full day starting at 7 am, and we didn't get home from the airport last night until 1-ish.
On the bright side, there is snow on the ground, the house is decorated, and the Plaza lights have been lit for the season.
I've got a big smile on my face because it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and it's only December 1st.