Friday, February 27, 2009

How hard could it be?


I've always liked the look of an installation-type piece taking up empty space on a big open wall...

Via the lovely Lolita



This one in particular has caught my eye today, and I am wondering how hard it could possibly be to do with different sizes and even colors of coffee filters. Not that I have many blank walls laying (ahem, standing...) around, but perhaps it would even look cool to arrange them around a special framed photograph, or intermingled around framed pieces in a gallery wall.

Any ideas as to how I might stick them up there with out having to nail/tack/ruin the paint? Any other ideas of objects that could be found around the house and affixed to the wall for instant art?? DO tell!!!!

7 comments:

Regardez Moi said...

i kind of love it!!!

Amanda said...

use that blue sticky tac stuff. I think you will have to have something a little more firm that a coffee filter as I think it might flop over, maybe?

Love the idea, though. Do it and share with us!

Stephanie said...

I've seen this image before- so lovely! coffee filters with some pretty tack or pin! I love the idea of white on a colored wall. And really, you could do this winding around a corner or something like that...

Kristyn said...

michael knows a ceramicist from red star named michael baxley who has similar pottery that i love and you would love. he has beautiful vessels very similar to your photograph.

www.michaelbaxley.com

so i was going to say that thin porcelain vessels would be the most beautiful form of this art, but coffee filters could be a very lovely and much easier alternative.

Jennifer Carlson said...

For a frame, it's a little easier. Would candlewax work? I wouldn't recommend putting that on the wall. :) The only thing I can think of is sticky tac, but sometimes that can leave a stain.

Jessie said...

Oohoh, love the ideas, ladies!

I'm going to start collecting different sized filters, and I'll see what I come up with!

Brooke Meyenberg said...

3M has a spray on adhesive (found in a spray can).

Or... Krylon offers Easy-Tack Repositionable Adhesive (also in a spray can).
It temporarily and precisely holds lightweight materials, like stencils and photos.

I found both wash off pretty easily with a damp cloth. Those might save the walls.

Do share your project if you dive in and give it a shot! 