Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mad for Plaid

Plaid seems to be everywhere these days, and I must say that I'm okay with it. I have, however, been looking for ways to wear it that are different than the buffalo-plaid-flannel-tunics that EVERY one has from urban outfitters/F21 (nothing against 'em... just trying to spice things up). What better way than to bring in a little vintage!?

I found a frumpy old house dress at the thrift store a few weeks ago, and I had a feeling I could transform it into something a little more wearable, and dare I say, even darling? See the results below and let me know what you think!

Disclaimer: I'm posting the before photo, ONLY so you can see the transformation, and not because I am self-assured enough to show you what I look like early in the morning with no make up on.

Prepare yourself for hilariousity.

Below the knee, baggy sleeves, and just generally unflattering. Who makes these things anyway?
I have no excuse for my facial expression except for that I had just woken up.


Cinch the waist, raise the hems, and roll the sleeves!


And voila!!!

I wore this look to work on a warm day last week, and I must say that I felt great!

More vintage fix-ups to come!


13 comments:

GiGi said...

cute! super cute! super duper cute! you're so stinkin' cute!
can you puh-lease help me out in the sewing department??
ummmm, and where is that rug from??

Lauren said...

Great makeover! I can't wait to see more!

Amanda said...

You are the best!
We really need to get together again sometime soon!

Kristyn said...

oh my gosh, nice work Jessie! I saw you in that dress and it looked so adorable. Love ya.

Petunia Face said...

You look beautiful! And the dress is darling!

krista said...

very nicely done, miss :-)

tiffany said...

Holy crap! So super adorable! I am not inspired to think outside the box. You look fantastic!

alissa said...

ahhh! i love it! seriously - nice work. im going to think twice about some of those dull dresses at the shops - they have fabulous potential!

Heather said...

Very cute! You definitely need to post more of these!

Anonymous said...

love! wish i was as handy with a needle and thread...

Dad said...

Dress, smesh! You are beautiful no matter what you are wearing. LOL over the "before" shot as I remember that pouty look from a 7 or 8-year-old birthday party many years ago. Ha! xoxo Dad

Ashley said...

LOVE it! I am liking the plaid lately, too. You look great!

RachelDenbow said...

This is ADORABLE! I have this plaid print in a shirt that used to be my mom's only it doesn't fit this summer as the belly is in the way. I've been tempted to cut it up and use it as a scarf or make it into a baby dress but I think I might try and save it for next Spring.

You look RAD!